Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The World is a Giant Theme Park

A couple of years ago, probably 3 or 4 now, I decided it was time for a break from my everyday routine.  Accompanied by a friend from work, off we set for Drumheller...a place I love to go.
I had not been on the highway from Vancouver to Alberta in a number of years.
What I saw, shocked me. (I am naïve)
As the wheels of the car spun over the pavement, a feeling of unease crept over me.  This continued to grow as we travelled along.
The highway, once a place where one felt the raw natural majesty on either side, albeit fenced, was now dotted with little bridges and underpasses "for wildlife safety" and I realized again, what extent mankind has taken to control - everything. It sickened me.  I am ashamed of my part.
Where once man lived in harmony with nature, we now seek to control it, every blade of grass, every drop of rain.  What a poor, poor job we are doing.  We have succeeded in poisoning almost every form of life on the planet and destroying the very form of the lovely earth we were placed upon.  I struggled there...with the word "given" and chose placed upon as humans were not "given" the earth, we merely thrived here.

No comments: