Friday, May 2, 2008

Old Red Eye is Dead

First, click on the image to enlarge, then notice how the pupil dilates ever so slightly : )
So, there I was alone in a strange city. I was dead tired and had really scrambled to get myself out of the hotel bed that morning. The snow had cleared and the sun shone painfully into our eyes as we drove down the highway to work.
People, swarming around, I'd just finished a 15 minute schmooz and was gathering wind for the next onslaught. I raised my gaze and saw a man walking in our direction. As he closed in he locked his gaze on mine and continued forward. He was huge, it was like a building moving towards me, something made me think familiarity, Tony Soprano, no, more familiar....he stopped about 24" in front of me..."Hi," simply put. "Hi," I got out and started to shake my head from side to side, "I don't believe it." I ran up and squeezed him as hard as I could, conscious that my arms just made it slightly past his. He squeezed back.
"C'mon, I'll introduce you to my son."
I followed him.
There, sitting on a bench, a tiny figure, wheat blonde, with piercing blue eyes.
"This is my son." I could hear the pride in his voice.
I crouched down to his level as he sat, "Oh look at those blue eyes of yours," I was incredulous, "just like your daddy's." I said looking backwards and catching the eyes of the man.
The tyke began to mumble nervously. "What's your name?"
"Patwick."
At that I stuck out my hand to shake his, "Well, I'm very happy to meet you Patrick, my name's Brenda." This as I took his tiny, soft hand in mine.
"Where is the rest of your brood?" this to the big man.
"Well, we had a kind of blowout and I put her on a plane back east to her parents." shaking his head, he had a stunned look on his face.
"Oh, it'll all work out, just give people time, you'll see."
"Uh, no, I don't think so." and his gaze turned "far-away"
I knew that look...from long ago, he was emotionally pained.
"Sooo, what brings you here?" trying to snap him out of it.
"We are looking for a new razor for me." I smiled, he did look a bit ragged at the jawline.
"Well, I have to get back, so you will drop by and see me?"
He hugged me again, and I rubbed the little one on the back.
"You made my day." I said as I backed away, "I don't want to leave you here!"
"It's o.k., I'll call you."
"Awesome."
"You didn't recognize me and you haven't changed a bit, you're still the same."
"Well, you're being kind as usual."

So strange...I finally turned my back and retraced my steps.
When I returned, "Who was that Bren?"
"My second husband." I croaked.

No comments: